Students who join my studio will engage in weekly lessons that are held at my home from September through May. Lessons offered are violin and viola, along with beginning cello. Each potential student and his/her parent(s) will need to attend a short teacher/student interview. This will give us an opportunity to introduce ourselves and will allow me to be able to talk with parents about how to get started with lessons, as well as go over my studio purposes and policies. I also want to know why you desire to take lessons because it is important to understand your goals from the start so we can work together toward those goals.
I am classically trained, so that is the emphasis of my studio. Lesson materials consist of a method book, a Suzuki book, and an additional piece to work on. More advanced students use etude books instead of method books. In addition to this core repertoire, students may explore other kinds of music as well. Fiddle, bluegrass, and hymns are some favorite styles in my studio.
I understand that students have different learning styles, learning speeds, strengths, and challenges. I desire to tailor my teaching to help each student learn and master the techniques and concepts involved in string playing. This also means that I expect students to practice and work hard to learn their instrument. Learning a string instrument is challenging but fun and rewarding too!
The goals of my studio:
- To teach beginning students proper technique, posture, habits, and care for their instruments, giving them a strong foundation on which to build their advancing skills.
- To help intermediate students continue to grow in their knowledge and skills, advance to the next level of playing, and prepare to play in an orchestra if that is their desire.
- To teach students how to practice effectively, because you play the way you practice.
- To give students a passion and desire to continue learning their instrument and studying music.
- To provide a solid base in music theory.
- To provide opportunities for students to serve others such as playing for nursing homes or churches.
I would love to talk with you about setting up lessons for your student. Please contact me with any further questions.
“Music…will help dissolve your perplexities and purify your character and sensibilities, and in time of care and sorrow, will keep a fountain of joy alive in you.”
~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer ~